Thursday, January 13, 2011

Day 27 - A problem that you have had.

Problem. Problem... hmm... thinking...

Oh!

Ok. A problem I have and still have, actually, is being too busy. Yes, I know being industrious is a good thing, but there is a such thing as too much of a good thing in my case. Haha.

I think my problem isn't that I'm too busy, really; actually, I think it stems from the fact that I'm curious, not afraid of a challenge, and not afraid to fail.

I guess it's a tricky combination.

"Hannah, go plan a formal ball. You have three weeks."

Me: "Um, ok?"

Or, "Hannah, memorize the Gettysburg Address, Lincoln's Second Inaugural Address, and these two poems and this short story, and your 3 1/2 minute speech. Which you still have to write by the way. You have a month."

Me: "Ummm, o...k??"

"Hannah, would you play the piano at my wedding? I know you haven't had any formal training."

Me: "Gulp. Uh, sure! Hope you like hymns! *panics*"

You see what I mean. I've learned that my identity doesn't lie in what I do or do not do; that rather, I am a daughter of God and I am secure in that knowledge. However, being secure in that knowledge has enabled me to conquer my fears and try things that scare the you- know- what out of me initially.

I have to say though, that along with this being a problem, it has really been more of a blessing than anything. I've been given so many unique opportunities, and so many challenges, that I have undoubtedly grown as a person. Who knew I could plan events? Not me! Until I've had to plan a few. Who knew I could play the piano, in front of an audience, at a serious occasion like a wedding, and did I mention in front of an audience? NOT ME! Until I had to. And who knew, really, that I could memorize a LOT of information about the American Civil War? Not. Me. I had nooooo clue I was capable of that until someone dared me to do it. But I did.

Of course, I also do it to myself.

"Hmm, I wonder if I could learn Hebrew well enough to read the OT in it?"

Turns out, I can. And did. Now I'm working on Greek... how crazy is that?

Or, I say to myself something like, "I wonder, if you spent a lot of time practicing, you could draw cartoons?" Turns out I can! Huh.

Anyway, Not that it's all fun and games. Because I take on a lot, I am often burning the candle at both ends. It catches up to me sometimes.

But God has been telling me that it's ok to slow down, and that I don't have to do it all all the time. He's been showing me that it's all right to stop and smell the roses (although, last night, I got in a nasty fight with a rose bush and lost, but that's another post).

I know He looks at me and smiles, and the days where I invite Him to be a part of my busy life and go through my day with me are the best. Things seem to magically work out, I still feel tired but it's a good tired, a contented tired; and lastly I get to learn the lessons God has for me in everything I do. It's great.

I guess that's the key to this whole "busy" thing: balance. As long as I'm doing what I know God wants me to do, then it's great to be busy (and, as an added bonus, it keeps me out of trouble Jk!)! When I do things simply to see if I can... well, sometimes that's great, and other times I fall flat on my face. But I know that I always have Someone to laugh about it with, and Someone who will always pick me up and dust me off, and show me where I'm supposed to be going. Thank you Jesus. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment