Tuesday, May 18, 2010

In Honor of Mom Part II




Well. I suppose I had better post some really sweet memories and things about her before ya'll get the wrong idea. ;)


Some of my very first memories of her are from when I was still pretty much a baby. She would rock me and sing me to sleep every night.

I also have her to thank for being such a wonderful example of what it is to be a Christian woman- compassionate, gentle, and real.
Speaking of compassion, I don't think I've ever met anyone else in my life whose compassion matches hers. I remember one day coming home from school and finding her sobbing in our living room. A quail had flown into our long kitchen window and was hurt, so there she was with it wrapped in an old washcloth, rocking the twitchy thing and crying. She's like that, and I'm glad.

She also sets an excellent example of how to grow in the faith. She prays with other moms once a week for kids at my brother's high school, and she and a friend pray every Friday morning for their kids. She makes going to church a priority, and even when she feels terrible she still goes.

Mom is also very creative. She has the best handwriting, and when I was little I always had the best school projects! She's artsy in her own way, even if she denies it.

Another thing I appreciate about my mother is her ability to cook. Oh my, she does it a little too well. Everything she does always tastes really good, but trying to watch how she does things frustrates me because she doesn't really follow recipes and it's hard to remember.

My mom also has a heart for people. She fills the role of counselor in many lives, not just mine. She is the first person everyone goes to for help or advice, and it is always given lovingly and for free. :)


I also have to say that she is FUN. Always the life of the party, NO ONE ever forgets my mom once they've met her. No matter where we go, she always runs into someone she knows! Seriously, everywhere.

And finally, she has this unique ability to get things for free, often. Because she is so funny and nice, she somehow affects people in a way that they give her things. I'm trying to figure out how she does it! Free dessert, free products, free drinks, free makeup, free whatever- it happens everywhere. What's so cool about it is that she never expects it- people just like her that much. :)

There is so much more I could say, but I guess the bottom line is that I am very blessed to have her as a mom. What more could a girl ask for?!

2 comments: