Saturday, July 25, 2009

Blue Like Jazz


Has anyone read this thing?!


I don't really understand all the hype about it. For a couple years now, a bunch of my friends have recommended it to me, but I never really wanted to read it... I don't even know why, I just didn't. Well, my aunt had a copy lying around, so I picked it up.

All I have to say is, "really?!"

...This is what all the hype is about?

Ok. I find Donald Miller's attitude refreshing, in that he comes at the whole Christianity thing from his own perspective, and no one else's. However. The only truly insightful thing he manages to say throughout the entire book, really, is that he is a selfish person. He sort of figures out that life isn't about him, but he never really changes.

He goes on through life slowly realizing that the universe doesn't revolve around him, but he never does anything about it; he never finds out what the real Christian walk is all about.

Why? Well, all Miller does is figure out that he can't do it on his own, the whole "become unselfish thing."

Well DUH!!

No one can do it on his own, that's why we have to have Christ living and operating in our spirit. He does all the loving, undoes all the selfishness- and not us. We just can't.

But does Mr. Miller ever mention that? No! He just sort of lamely concludes that he believes in God and wants to be a better person, and... that's it.

Sorry, I found that highly disappointing. He has all these grand ideas about how the world would be a better place if we all lived for each other, and yeah- he has a point. But then he realizes that he can't even fix his own selfishness, never mind the whole world.

It would have been a much better book if he had written the solution to it all, instead of leaving us all sort of depressed and unsatisfied. I know, I'm being kinda harsh. But that's my opinion.

Poor Donald Miller! He is so missing out!

No comments:

Post a Comment