Saturday, August 13, 2011

London!!

Sorry it has been a while, but I have had a whirlwind of things happening since I got home... some EXCITING stuff, but I have to tell you about London first!

I rode "the Tube" in London when we arrived, after taking a train with my boss and co- worker from Plymouth. We left at a quarter to 8 in the morning and arrived at about 11. Here's the famous Mind the Gap picture!! In England, they say "mind" instead of watch like us Americans.



Here we are, leaving from the famous Paddington station!


On our way to see Buckingham palace, we cut across through St. James' park, and this is the cottage that the Bird Keeper lives in. Isn't it adorable? I am in love with it!


Here is the statue outside of Buckingham Palace. The queen wasn't in that day, so the flag wasn't flying, but it was still cool to see! And there were the famous British soldiers there, too. They were marching back and forth like little toy soldiers! They were impressive, I wanted to wind them up and make them do it again.


Here is Buckingham Palace.

After seeing the palace and watching the soldiers march, we made our way towards Big Ben. There were the famous red telephone booths everywhere! Really, everywhere. I think they have them just for the tourists.

Well, here he is! I have always wanted to see Big Ben in person, and now I can say I have!

Big Ben is huge. Even with all of our skyscrapers and tall buildings, I am still impressed by it.



Here is the London Eye, no I didn't ride it but we walked by it! It is very cool.


For lunch, we went to this place called Le Pain Quotideon, and I probably spelled that incorrectly. But they had the BEST food. Spreadable Belgian chocolate on freshly baked bread, and I had a roast beef something or other for lunch.

It was heaven. I love bread, I love chocolate, and lunch was to die for.

After lunch, we walked back across the Thames and walked through China town and Soho.

Here's me on the bridge! Ah!!!

And walking across it. It was a perfect day, cloudy but not hot or cold.

Probably the BEST part of the day though, or the highlight, was visiting the BRITISH MUSEUM!!!!


One of my life goals, now I have done it. I was especially pleased to see the Parthenon marbles; I was a Classics major for a while. They are just stunning.

LOVE the horses!!

And this vase? It's in one of my textbooks!! I have seen the REAL THING!!

And this? Oh. My. Gosh.


Isn't that incredibly well- preserved? I have many more cool pictures from the museum, but too many to post them all.

After the museum, we went through Covent Gardens!


It was beautiful, and there were a lot of street performers. And shops, with big designer names from all over the world.

After that, we went to Browns and recovered a little from our whirlwind trip, and then ate at a noddle bar called Wagamama. I had the teriyaki chicken, and it was delicious. Then we went back to our hotel and crashed in our rooms.

I cannot believe I finally made it to London! It was a dream come true, and I really hope I get to go back someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment