Saturday, June 25, 2011

Dawn

This morning I was up to see the dawn, so I went outside and watched it.

It was amazing.

I usually see the beautiful Arizona sunsets, and those are pretty too, but there is just something unique about dawn that the sunsets can't touch.

I haven't watched the sun rise for a few years, not since I was in marching band in high school. It was a common occurrence then, but we were all busy doing something to really take time to appreciate it.

This morning, the sun was coming up at 4:30. I went outside and just watched and listened. It was deadly quiet; no hum of electronics, no cars. Eventually the birds started singing, but that was a sound that added to the peacefulness rather than disturbed it.

There were no spectacular color displays like the sunsets have, just the light sweeping over the world, catching delicate dessert plants and early morning flowers with surprise.

It sounds silly, but it was glorious. So simple, dawn is. I mean, yes the sun comes up. We all know that, it happens every day. Not news worthy. But have you ever watched the sunrise all by yourself? It's a great way to start the day.

1 comment:

  1. This is something I've always wanted to do, but I've never done it. Maybe I'll try it now!

    ReplyDelete