Thursday, February 10, 2011

Listening to that Still, Small Voice

No, don't worry; I don't mean the aliens.

Lately, I've been learning that I have a lot of choices to make about-- oh, just everything-- and sometimes I have to ask: "How do I know I'm making the right ones?"

It's a scary thought.

"Hannah, would you teach a group of refugee women how to make a scarf?"

"Hannah, would you paint this sign in front of the entire student body?"

"Hannah, would you be able to teach writing classes at a women's shelter?"

"Hannah, can you be a life- long mentor for an inner- city child?"

"Hannah, can you spend a semester at Oxford?"

"Hannah, can you..."

The list is endless. And I have to decide: yes or no?

I've found myself worrying a lot about making the "right" choices.

But the thing is, when I tune into what God is saying to me (because I turn to Him for the answers), I find him chuckling a little.

"Hannah. All of those are wonderful. But you shouldn't be worried about What it is you're doing as much as Why... where does your motivation lie?"

Oh.

...Yeah.


:)

Thanks!

And then I hear:

"You know, girl, be careful not to be Too Busy. You could be missing out on things that you won't get to experience again, and it will be too late."

Hmm. Good point.

And then, in a very quiet whisper I hear:

"And remember Martha, Hannah. I've missed you lately! What happened to our daily walks? What are you doing that's more important than time with Me? You usually choose what is better; please don't trade Me in merely for Things To Do."

Uh- oh. Right in the gut.

That was all mostly at the beginning of this semester, so I asked God to help free up my schedule, and keep me from being so overwhelmed. And you know what? He did!

Now, I am busy but not too busy. I am actually getting a decent amount of sleep at night. I feel a lot better, and I actually have time to go bike riding or play with my dog (we trained him how to dance recently; cutest thing EVER), or even get a head start on homework (and not do it hours before it's due!).

I like this. I like it a whole lot. And the best thing is, it's all a result of an interaction with God. Amazing, isn't it? What He will do for you when you need it most.

No comments:

Post a Comment